Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Port and Chemo

I went in yesterday to have a port put in. This allows easier vein access. Creepy, yes but easier yes. Let's just assume there will be a lot of creepy and I won't note it again. The procedure was not fun but not so painful. Ted and I were there for a very long time as Northwestern seems to have ongoing problems with the concept of scheduling. I waited slightly short of forever and then went in. I ended up being there all day with Ted and am glad we had help to pick up the boys. So, lots of time wasted but procedure successful.

The port was accessed today for my chemo treatment. It is definitely way better than without. I'll spare you details on that. Just less painful and so much quicker.

My friend Gayle came today. I don't know if she's reading this blog but she's amazing. I actually regard today as a very fun day.

She's one of those people I'm friends with so that Isaac can be friends with her girls. I'm glad Isaac did this for all of us.

She stayed and we jabbered through chemo which made time go quickly. We then went to lunch at Bistro 110. I decided that anyone who is kind enough to go to chemo with me gets a free snobby lunch. We had great food and yet more of a good time. My appetite is going so I'm glad we did that.

I feel relatively okay but can feel post-chemo symptoms coming. Wednesday and Thursday will be my hardest days I bet and I'm not scheduled for anything.

My hair is making its exit. It is sad but I've been prepared for it for so long. I have my groovy scarves. I'm wearing one now. I don't want to walk around shedding. I had my hair cut shorter on Monday but darn it if it didn't turn out so cute! The point was to get a shocking hair cut and then be less shocked at its loss. Oh well. Until Thursday, I'll have cute hair.

This part is nearly unbelieveable but I have the proof. Today I got the mail and there was a shampoo sample! It's true! Funny joke from God I guess. I get it, I get it.

All of my blood counts were great. The nurse read them to me as if they had meaning. Of course I then had to ask, "Are those good?" She said, "They're great!" So, they're great.

I had a bizarre case of hives that has recurred a few times. I've never had them in my life but the chemo people tell me it's not chemo related. My husband, the shrink thinks it might be, "sublimation of anxiety". He's like that. He means well.

Benadryl gets rid of it so I was told to continue this if it occurs again. So, it's treatable and not a big deal.

I won't go back in until the 23rd of July for my third treatment. Now Elizabeth and Gayle are fighting over who gets to go. I think the publishing of the free lunch did it. I have good people to stick with me. Barbara will join me again in August so I'm covered. Some family have offered to come too.

There's a thunderstorm here. The boys are home. I'm still okay for now and even when I've been sick, it hasn't been THAT bad.

I might post again when I'm without hair. I might wait until my next treatment. It's always okay to e-mail or call too.

At this very moment, I don't feel too bad or too sad. The job is to really really keep living and to not mark time until this is over. My boys make that happen whether I like it or not so they'll pull me through. They always do.

Gotta go. Thunderstorms are scary if you're two.

No comments: