Friday, June 1, 2007

Good-bye, Surgery

I just deleted what was surely going to be regarded as the internet's best blog posting. Oh well.

I got my drain thing removed today. Life is so much better. I didn't realize how much of my discomfort was due to that.

The pathology report stated that there was NO cancer in the additional fourteen lymph nodes removed. Hallelujah! The cruel thing is that I was handed the report without a decoder so couldn't really make sense of it. I kept reading the word "no" and seeing the number zero so I assumed that was good. I didn't want to assume that without being 100% sure so I had to wait for the surgeon to tell me what all of the big words, numbers and symbols meant.

I also now have the chemo oncologist and the radiation oncologist's phone numbers. I didn't call today. It can wait until Monday. After this posting, I plan to think as little about cancer as possible. I'm done with it until I call on Monday and start getting ready for the next round.

I know chemo won't be easy. I know in fact that it'll suck. However, I do believe with very good reason that I'll live a long time with more guarantees if I do it. I can tolerate anything if that's the pay-off. I'm not afraid of chemo. I've already gone through scarier things than that. I have worries about my boys with all of this, but we're a good team so I'm sure they'll help me figure out how to help them.

I am so very grateful for so much. I am happy. I am well. My tears now are not about being afraid.

I get a minor rest until Monday when I call the chemo and radiation folks. I'll post again after I communicate with them.

1 comment:

Tory said...

Dear Ruth,

I am thrilled by your news! I hope this will remove at least some of the emotional difficulty of the chemo treatment.

Best news I've had in weeks.

Love,

Tory