Friday, May 9, 2008

MRI Outcome

This has taken me a while to get to. It's good because it means Life is going on and that other things just matter more. Well, maybe not more but they are taking more of my time and focus. So, it's good.

I went in on Thursday, May 1 as I was experiencing some discomfort on a rib on the right side which is the side where I had cancer. I was told that I am still quite swollen from radiation so the doctor thinks it likely that there is fluid in that area causing the problem. I left happy with that answer rather than being told to panic or to go through some hideous test.

On the following Saturday, I went in for an MRI. This is the one the insurance company had an issue with covering but my doctor wrote a note or whatever and it was covered. The MRI was clear which for SO many reasons is great. The follow-up would've been an MRI-guided biopsy which frankly freaked me out last year. Last year's concerns that showed areas beyond my cancer were also apparently gone and/or diminished. MRI's don't diagnose per se. They just red-flag. They have a false positive track record of about 40%. I'm glad it was good and is over.

Next Friday I'll be seeing my surgical oncologist for the first time since this all happened. It's just a follow-up.

I will actually be dropping the whole radiation department from my team. The reason is that Dr. Kiel is leaving. We decided that for follow-ups, I can handle them with chemo and surgical oncologists given that I don't require any radiation issues at this time.

At the recommendation of the DNA specialist, I will be pursuing a choloscopy. It's basically to get a baseline but also of course just to look. I know it's a nasty procedure but if it means more information, I'm cooperating. I'm imagining I'll get to it over the summer.

The Avon Walk is coming up. I wish I could say I am ready. I just don't have time to train or even think about it. Again, it's good. My life is filled with work and two boys who now have their own hectic schedules but no driver's licenses!

Isaac is playing baseball and wrapping up school. Toby will begin some class this summer. Isaac will have camp for four weeks while Toby will go to school for those four weeks. I'm looking to work but haven't heard yet what the options are.

If anyone wishes to give to the Avon Walk, please ask what to do and I'll give you the information. My friend Gayle hasn't met her goal!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: