Saturday, January 26, 2008

Updates

Okay, so I'm clearly jazzed about the Avon Walk. Beyond that, there is some stuff to tell.

I went in for a DNA counselling session on Wednesday. I was given the coloring book version. As I was talking to the couselor, she gave me quiz questions to make sure I understood! I hate quizzes! I did alright but to say I fully understand this stuff is just not the case. In short, it's highly highly unlikely that I am a DNA carrier. The only reason to proceed at all is my young age to have gotten breast cancer. So, they took blood, they're proceeding and I'll find out in about a month.

The reason to investigate is multi-faceted. The short answer is that if I'm a DNA carrier, I'm more vulnerable to getting cancer again. If I am, I will likely look to future surgeries to be preventative against cancer. However, I was told that odds are only in the 3% -7% range that the tests will yield any results in that direction. It's just a stone I don't wish to leave unturned.

The conselor recommended a colonoscopy. I'm quite sure I spelled that wrong. It's nothing any oncologists recommended but I'm going to do it. I hear it's a hideous test and I'll spare the details here. That's another long story about why to do it. Again, very very remote reason to do it but anything followed by a percentage sign to me means to do it "just in case".

On Friday I have my first mammogram since the last one I had which detected the cancer. I thought I was fine but I've been freaking out a bit. Saturday is a slower day obviously so I've had more time to hear my own thoughts today. I'll be okay. If I were given the option to back out, I'd still go. I feel a safety in getting checked but also fearful of course. Barbara is going to try to come with me. If she can that's lovely and if not, I'll be fine I'm sure. There's a British pub nearby and a bistro with a good wine list close by.

I've started a gym routine. It's to get my strength together, get healthier and to get ready for the walk. I am moving heaven and earth to get to the gym three times a week. So far so good but it's only January. I do a lame workout but with time, it'll improve I'm sure. I'm already getting better.

I'm good. I actually felt done with cancer but with the scary DNA consultation, tests in process there and now my mammogram, I do feel I'm again facing it. This will always be part of my life I suppose. I have much more to celebrate than to lament.

Thanks for reading if anyone still is.

No comments: