Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Radiation

Catchy title, huh? Is anyone still reading this?

I started radiation yesterday. I am at a brand new hospital. It just opened less than a week ago. I am the fourth radiation patient.

The clinic is not fully up and running. For me that means hardly anyone around, new everything and a very good lack of commotion. I hope it also means that I'll be in and out quickly. I was promised I would be.

I'm handling things as Isaac and Toby make sure that I have no other options. They keep me in check.

I have a babysitter picking up Isaac and Toby on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It looks like I can get home on time but it gives me extra time two days a week. The boys love the sitter so it's good. It also gets them together a bit earlier which is good.

I have five weeks of treatments, five days a week. I'm going directly from work. It means no staying for extra whatevers including taking care of business. Home and work are definitely impacted but it is what it is.

This isn't about radiation but.... Toby had his birthday party on Sunday. It felt like the most normal event in our house thus far. It's so simple and so essential. We haven't had too many guests except people there for the purpose of communing with me through the ookiness of chemo or whatever. It was nice to have people there just to eat cake, get goody bags and to look at the little blonde boy blow out his candles. I wished with him.

Thanksgiving will be with Larry and Mary in Chicago. Thanks to them for that invitation. The Saturday after Thanksgiving will be in Indianapolis for a belated Thanksgiving with my family. I thought I'd miss this one but now I won't. I can keep my record of never missing a Thanksgiving with my family in Indianapolis. Thanksgiving will also signal the almost end of radiation as well. The Monday after should be the last one.

Again, so much to be grateful for and still some muck to wade through. It's less wading than I've been through thus far it seems.

Call, write, whatever. Or just check in here.

No comments: